Sunday, January 1, 2012

From the Desk of the Lowly Office Aid: January 2012 Edition

January 2012

Take our Quiz Question Here


Dear Friends and Family,

Happy New Year Readers! 2012 is upon us! Bye-bye December and hello January! I have always been particularly fond of January for several reasons. For one reason, it is a month of pure winter, a season that I love. A month full of cold weather (or at least cold-ish weather here in So Cal) coats, scarves, and cuddling up with a blanket and a good book, nothing could be more delightful to me. I also love that it's the start of something new, and who doesn't. First you get a bunch of lovely Christmas presents to unwrap, and then a week later something even better comes, a whole new year wrapped up in a big metaphorical bow for you to symbolically unwrap and most literally enjoy.

However, probably the biggest reason why I like January is that it is, in fact, my birthday month. So, as you can see, I am a bit biased. This particular January I will turn the big 2-4. They don't make any cards for that year at Hallmark, but I still think it's quite special. It is a confirmation that I am turning more and more adult every year. I am ever surprised that they keep adding a number to my age every year. I feel sometimes that they ought to take a number away from me, but anyways, 24 it is. Let's see if I can live up to the number.

However, before I get caught up with all the newness of 2012, I guess I ought to reflect on Christmas before I forget about it. We had a nice Christmas indeed. Mom made her famous fudge (which I once reported to my first grade teacher, along with my mom's pork chops, to be my favorite food) and the "Happy Birthday Jesus Cake" which is strawberry flavored (Jesus's favorite? I have no idea) and wreath shaped. While Mom took care of the sweet side, or at least the carby side, as she made my favorite cheesy potatoes as well, Dad took care of the...well...meatier matters. Carnivorous concerns are purely his. And boy, a true carnivore he proved himself to be. Any self-respecting T-Rex would have been proud because he didn't just provide and prepare one meat, or even two, but a solid three including a 24 pound turkey, a 10 pound ham, and two 4.5 pound solid legs of lamb. All I can say is yum and- thank you. All this glorious food supplies me with just about the best meal of the year, and subsequently, the best leftovers of the year. Thank goodness I have a week off to enjoy them. I get one week to enjoy the holiday dream land of decorations, presents, and excellent edibles.   

Soon, though, too soon I fear, I will have go back to my babies at work and back to real life. No more Christmas dream land with its twinkling lights, stockings hung with care, presents under the tree, shiny ornaments or even scrumptious leftovers. Nope, it will just be back to normal life at my little "half-pint" house (as my roommate and I affectionately call it) with its normally lighted and not necessarily glowing fluorescent bulbs, back to my downstairs (which is to say the only type of "stairs" I have back in LA) kitchen adjacent, cozy little bedroom. As for the food, there will be no more turkey, no more lamb, and no more ham, no more fudge, baklava, ice cream, or my favorite potatoes. We will just leave it behind in magic holiday land where I can only return to for one week a year, and what a splendid week it is. But alas,  no one can stay there forever. Oh no sir-ee. That wouldn't be such a good idea, because you can have too much of a good thing, as they say. If I tried to stay there forever I am pretty sure I would be 300 pounds by next Christmas and also at least 300 dollars in the hole on account of sitting in my pajamas and enjoying the holiday bliss for a bit too long. So back to the real world it is for me. Back to my oatmeal in the mornings, and my cottage cheese in the afternoon, and my Chipotle (if I'm lucky) dinners, and so that is that.

I hope you and yours had an equally lovely Christmas and I wish you all a divine New Year as well! Here's to 2012-- I already know that it's going to be a good one! See you in February.

Signing Off,



 
Joy Jasmine Ellis
The Lowly Office Aid
LS Real Estate




"I thought I was the luckiest ham in the grocery store when I found out that I was purchased by the famous John Ellis, the best ham preparer in town! All the other hams were jealous."












No comments:

Post a Comment