Thursday, December 1, 2011

From the Desk of the Lowly Office Aid: December 2011 Edition


December 2011


Dear Friends and Family,

December has arrived, everyone! If you are like me, then you can probably hardly believe it. I feel like I was just getting used to autumn, and now, BAM! it's winter all of a sudden. I feel like it's so hard for us So-Californians because every day it just looks the same outside, so there is nothing easing us from one season to the next. Sure it get slightly colder, but that's it. Okay, maybe the occasional rain too, but still. There's nothing like a good snow storm to announce the winter, but for us that's just not an option. I actually heard a song the other day that says it isn't Christmas without snow, so according to that, sorry guys, I guess the holiday is null and void for all of us without those pretty white crystal flakes falling from the sky. It just doesn't seem quite fair though. It's not our fault that it doesn't snow. I guess we'll just have to write our own version of the song, and it will be called "It's Always Christmas Without Snow". That's much more appropriate for us.

Anyways, now that Christmas time is in full swing, it's time for lots of shopping. Perhaps you already started this past Black Friday. I personally didn't, even though, like a lot of girls, I enjoy a good shopping trip. However, I do not consider a shopping trip "good" when it's at 4am. I would rather be sleeping, thank you very much. Last year was my only taste of Black Friday madness. A friend of mine convinced me to go to Old Navy at midnight after Thanksgiving and I was like, sure, what the heck, it probably won't be that crowded. I was terribly wrong. It seemed like everyone awoke from their Thanksgiving food coma with a new appetite to shop instead of eat. And so, fueled on thousands of calories of turkey and pumpkin pie, out came half of the Fullerton and La Habra area to Old Navy. I had just come along for the experience because I had never done any Black Friday shopping, but some of these people were serious about their performance fleece and scoop neck long sleeve shirts. I did buy several items myself which gave me that small feeling of satisfaction which is what I am sure drives a lot of people out into the stores at such ungodly times of night, but I don't know how they do it year after year because after grabbing my items any warm fuzzy feelings of shopping satisfaction soon vanished when I snapped back into reality.

For you see, picking out your items is only one half of the shopping equation, and as I especially realized that night, the only half that is pleasurable. The next half--and I mean the paying half of the equation--was, on this occasion, not only not pleasurable, but was extremely painful. Let me explain. As my eyes slowly lifted their gaze from my new shirts, pajamas, and socks all with their marked down price tags, my grin soon turned to a frown as I realized that the mass of people wrapping around the store weren't doing that for fun but because that was the line. Soon, I too entered the line like all of those other masochistic shoppers because personally, I didn't want to run out into the cold and get caught for shoplifting.

Then two hours later, yes I did mean two hours, I exited the line with a bagful of clothes, but also with two very sore feet and one tired and annoyed brain. At least when I stand in line at Disneyland I can say that I got to go on a cool ride after all that waiting. This time though, all I got at the end was a skinnier wallet and a few basic clothing staples. Woo hoo. I tried to justify what I had just done, but I couldn't. I just spent how much time in line for how much money off?  However, I couldn't go back and change the past. I could only learn for next year. Needless to say, this year I was sound asleep at 2a.m. Friday morning where last year I had been in line. I had got all that Black Friday nonsense out of me last year, and I am happy to report that this year I was able to enjoy my post-Thanksgiving day sleep unfettered by any shopping concerns.

I hope all of you had a lovely Thanksgiving, whether or not that included any Black Friday shenanigans. Obviously, it isn't my cup of tea, but if you are into that whole let's-lose-sleep-and-shop-instead, then go for it! Now that my page has run its course, it is time for me to bid you all adieu. May your December be merry and bright, even if it is snow free. Enjoy the Christmas season with all of your friends and family, and I will write you again for the new year. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from me The Lowly Office Aid, and from all of us at LS Real Estate!


 
Signing Off,

Joy Ellis
The Lowly Office Aid
LS Real Estate

 
Miss Black Friday Shopper says,
"Why waste time lying in bed asleep, when you can just drink 27 lattes and get your all of your holiday shopping in one night. In my opinion, you can sleep when you're dead!"



No comments:

Post a Comment